Thursday 25 October 2012

My Ultimate Crash Course Part Two: The Life of a Radio DJ





Well it has been quite a month!

Hello all again. Since my last post the work has started & believe me it will start to pile up. It is good fun though, especially the practical elements now finally we are getting stuck into it. I went to court for the first time last week too. It was interesting to say the least. I won't say much about it as I am bound to legal restrictions which I don't 100% know about yet!

Now that I'm going home for the weekend I thought this would be a good time to sum up what has occurred for far here in Nottingham.

As you might have picked up from the title, I am now a radio DJ. After a voice check & some studio training as was given the lunchtime slot, 1pm to 3pm on Tuesday. I did my first show this past Tuesday and I must say it was the most fun 2 hours I have had in a long time! What could be better? Speaking into a microphone talking about some random stuff that people can connect with whilst in-between play some of the best tunes in the UK right now. Whilst I did ponder what was the breakup of my listeners between people back home and ones at Uni with me at first, it doesn't really matter as they're all awesome for listening in! So thanks again to them. I can foresee loads of fun over the coming months ;) The Fly FM committee are awesome too, very welcoming & helpful. And well if the first social at Ocean last night was anything to go by there will not be anything but enjoyment working for Fly this year :)

So that has been going on, but what about life in general? Well I can honestly say I am having the time of my life here at University. I have a great flat, friends across block 5, I've been watching films that are classics, not to mention that I've now got FIFA 13 so that's useful for a rainy day ;)

I must admit I haven't been out that much since fresher’s week, but when I have done, it's been so much fun (I urge anyone coming to Nottingham, if you want a great night out go to Ocean, it is amazing). The other thing that I've noticed that for the first time in my life I have more friends that are girls than boys. Now that might be down to the fact that roughly the ratio of girls to boys at Uni in general is 65:35. Now to some people this would be a problem (I'm not going to mention the stereotype, you know what it is). But to be honest I really don't care. I would rather be friends with the people I've met than just mingle with a group I don't like just to fit in with a social stereotype. Also there is the fact that most of the girls are lovely (believe me, I could go into a lot more description but to retain respectability as a trainee journalist that's as far as I will go)

Just to clarify nobody here has made the stereotype I mentioned above. I wouldn't be as happy as I am now if it had! I was talking in a more general sense.

So after now over a month at Uni, I am returning home for the weekend. I must say, I haven't been homesick or anything, or longed to be back home, but it will be good to be back in my hometown in my own bed! The other good thing about it is that I'm going to be seeing some of my old friends again which something that I’m seriously looking forward to is! The only way that Uni would be better at the moment is that if they could be up here with me as well (including all of my mates who are at different Unit’s) And of course it'll be good to see my family as nothing beat seeing someone face to face even now when you have Skype.

So to finish I do a bit of cheap advertising! If anyone wishes to listen to my show on Fly FM go to www.flyfm.co.uk then click on live in the top right hand corner. If it doesn't work immediately go to player problem and play from one of the two direct streams given!

And long may this Uni adventure continue!

See you next time folks :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment